Friday, February 12, 2010

So Blessed

I read a quote the other day that I can't stop thinking about:

Do not spoil what you have
by desiring what you have not;
remember that what you now have
was once among the things
you only hoped for. ~Epicurus

This is so true! How many years did I dream about finding the love of my life? After finding him, how long did I dream about being married to him? When I was out of work, how many mornings and nights did I pray that I'd find a job? In college when I was driving a 1985 Mazda 626 (hatchback), and stranded on the side of the road every other day in sub-zero Rexburg temps, how many times did I wish I could afford a REAL car? When I was away from home in New York and missing my family so much, how often did I wish to be near them-- just to see their faces and hear their voices?

And now, how often do I point out Dave's weaknesses? How often do I wish this or that was different about our relationship? How often do I complain about work or my nice car or my family driving me nuts? I often do I focus on what we don't have, rather than what we do?

I'm trying to change my perspective-- even my paradigm. I am so blessed. I have so much to be grateful for. I will not allow myself to take for granted all of the things I used to only dream of having.

*Happy Valentine's Day!*

3 comments:

  1. That is an excellent thought. Been thinking a lot about the family lately since we haven't seen them in a few months, feeling sorry for myself, but remembering that I used to live in Germany and didn't see them for a year. Life is good... it is better when we count our blessings. Thanks for sharing that Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thanks for posting it. It is the best Valentine message I have ever heard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary sweet girl!!!

    PS, thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete